Exhibitions - U-534 U-boat, Liverpool

DHA Designs were responsible for the exterior lighting of the submarine, together with the interior lighting of the permanent exhibition working closely with the exhibition designers Real Studios and architects Jefferson Sheard.

The German U-boat U-534 was originally launched in 1942, used as a school boat in the Baltic to train new crew. Attacked by a Liberator when it refused to surrender in 1945, it sank in waters north west of Helsingor. It has now been rescued by Merseytravel, and forms part of a wider exhibition explaining the link between the Mersey Ferries and the history of underwater warfare.

For technical reasons, the U-boat had been cut into three sections and transported to its new site next to the Woodside ferry terminal. Glazed panels at each end of the sections allow visitors to see inside the submarine.

Lighting equipment includes:

Previous page